Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Merrimack Hockey Message Board : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Merrimack Hockey Message Board > General > Merrimack names Frazier as athletic director
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Warrior Hockey News
Administrator

Merrimack names Frazier as athletic director

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. -- Sean T. Frazier, former director of athletics and recreation at Clarkson University, has been named athletic director at Merrimack College, it was announced today by President Richard J. Santagati. Frazier replaces interim athletic director and head hockey coach Chris Serino, who left the college after seven years.

As athletic director, Frazier will be responsible for the operations of Merrimack College's athletic department, which currently sponsors 16 intercollegiate varsity sports (eight for men and eight for women). Fifteen of the sports compete at the NCAA Division II level while men's hockey competes in the best NCAA Division I conference, the Hockey East Association. All of the Division II sports compete in the highly competitive Northeast-10 Conference.

Athletic director at Clarkson since 2002, Frazier also served as Director of Athletics and Recreation at Manhattanville College from 1999 to 2002. During these appointments, he led all efforts in managing and supporting an athletics department with up to 20 NCAA sponsored sports and myriad intramural sports offerings. He was also extremely active in fostering academic excellence in student athletes, raising funds, creating new athletic programs, and marketing. Frazier was assistant director of athletics from 1998 to 1999 at the University of Maine Orono, having served in several positions there since 1995.

Frazier has a master of arts in education: Higher Ed./Ed. Leadership Administration from the University of Maine. He is a graduate of the University of Alabama with a bachelor of arts in communication; he was a four-year member of the University of Alabama football team.

"In many respects, Mr. Frazier is a true leader who understands the role of athletics in a collegiate environment," said President Richard J. Santagati, Merrimack College president. "He is well-respected by his peers and brings a wealth of experience to Merrimack College athletics. We look forward to a renewed vitality and enthusiasm for our student-athletes, the fans and our entire community."

Merrimack has traditionally been one of the top institutions in the Northeast-10, finishing fourth in the 2004-05 Northeast-10 Presidents' Cup standings, which measures the overall athletic excellence in the Northeast-10 Conference.

The Warriors also have a rich tradition in hockey, with the team earning a spot in the Hockey East playoffs in 14 of 16 years since joining the league. Merrimack advanced to the NCAA Division I quarterfinals in 1988, the same year the Warriors moved up from NCAA Division II.

Merrimack has won two NCAA Division II titles, with the hockey team claiming the national championship in 1978 and the softball team winning the title in 1994.

Merrimack College is a selective, independent, four-year Augustinian Catholic college offering liberal arts, business, science and engineering programs in a residential campus setting. Located on 220-acres in North Andover, Mass. just 25 miles north of Boston, Merrimack has a student body of 2,150 full-time students.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What They Are Saying About Sean T. Frazier

"I cannot adequately put into words the respect and admiration I have for Sean as both a professional and friend. I am torn regarding his decision to leave Clarkson for Merrimack. On one hand, I am excited for him and the opportunity presented by Merrimack. On the other hand, I am saddened that he will no longer be involved with the League.

"Sean is the consummate professional. He is a leader, communicator, visionary and man of great character. Merrimack should be excited to have Sean because, quite simply, he gets things done. I am certain he will continue to do great things at Merrimack, just as he has done at Manhattanville and Clarkson.

"While Sean will no longer be involved with the League, I look forward to continuing our relationship for years to come."

Stephen R. Hagwell, Commissioner, ECAC Hockey League

"Sean Frazier is one of the bright young Athletic Directors on the collegiate scene today. He is a young leader who has a passion for athletic administration, and the energy, experience, and vision to serve Merrimack College well. Merrimack has made an excellent selection for its next Athletic Director."

Merritt J. Norvell, Jr. Ph.D., Executive Vice President and Managing Director, DHR International

"Merrimack College is very fortunate to get a person of Sean Frazier's caliber. Sean has been a friend, role model and mentor. He is one of the people who helped me get my current position at the Military Academy. Sean is one of the most respected athletic directors in intercollegiate athletics. Sean is able to bring a unique perspective to Merrimack as a former student-athlete, coach, businessman and administrator. His knowledge of college hockey is second to none. Sean will definitely take Merrimack to the next level."

Kevin B. Anderson, Director of Athletics, United States Military Academy

"Merrimack College could not have chosen a more qualified person to be their next Director of Athletics than Sean Frazier. He knows the New England area, knows Hockey, can rebuild Athletic programs, and he can raise funds!"

Eugene Marshall, Jr., Athletic Director, Ramapo College of New Jersey, President, Black Coaches Association

"Sean Frazier has had a distinguished career as an athletic director and will be an asset to the athletic program at Merrimack College."

Bernard Franklin, Senior Vice President, NCAA National Office

"Having worked in the sports industry now for 20+ years, I have had the opportunity and pleasure to work with many sports industry executives. While many have great vision, few combine that vision with an execution style of a Sean Frazier. It has not only been a pleasure to work with Sean, but it's been a learning experience as well to see how one man can make a difference to an entire organization. All of us at Turfer Athletic look forward to working with Sean Frazier in his new position as Director of Athletics at Merrimack College because we know he will elevate the image of Merrimack to a new level. This man is legit!"

Glenn Cook, President, Turfer Athletic, Bristol, R.I.

Release and quotes courtesy Merrimack College.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-16-2005 04:22 AM
Warrior Hockey News is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Warrior Hockey News Click here to Send Warrior Hockey News a Private Message Click Here to Email Warrior Hockey News Visit Warrior Hockey News's homepage! Find more posts by Warrior Hockey News Add Warrior Hockey News to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote