Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
Merrimack Hockey Message Board : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 Merrimack Hockey Message Board > General > Dennehy named Merrimack head hockey coach
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ChiefWahoo

Dennehy, Merrimack mentioned in UMass article.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/repu...7270.xml&coll=1

quote:
Cahoon said that Dennehy's departure was not a surprise.

"It's something we've been working toward for Mark," Cahoon said. "He's always had the ambition. He won out over 50 candidates."

Can Dennehy win at Merrimack, a particularly difficult place to recruit for against the powers of Hockey East?

"Mark's a really bright guy," Cahoon said. "It's a tough place, but I believe you can win anywhere if orchestrated properly."

The successful transition into the nation's premier Division I conference, a trip to the Hockey East semifinals at the FleetCenter, a record seven ECAC titles, one NCAA national crown, 17 All-Americans and a quarterfinal appearance in the NCAA Division I nationals.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-13-2005 05:29 PM
ChiefWahoo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefWahoo Click here to Send ChiefWahoo a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefWahoo Add ChiefWahoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefWahoo

quote:
Originally posted by classof87
pretty good points guru! i think masters will be ok though. but he needs support from the school. they have to up the asistants pay, and travel budget, so we can find these kids ... maybe even have two full time assiatants looking at kids all year long alll over the place, networking with junior coaches, alumn etc... recruiting budgets must be increased, to give these guys the tools they need to find talented kids.. maybe after dennehy hires masters, he will think about kiene? those three could find kids to go to mc.

They have no choice but to provide support for Dennehy. If not he will leave the same way he left Fairfield U when they didn't give him the support he needed.

I am guessing that he asked for specifics on what the budget would be for hiring a staff, recruiting, etc.

The successful transition into the nation's premier Division I conference, a trip to the Hockey East semifinals at the FleetCenter, a record seven ECAC titles, one NCAA national crown, 17 All-Americans and a quarterfinal appearance in the NCAA Division I nationals.

Old Post 07-12-2005 12:23 AM
ChiefWahoo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefWahoo Click here to Send ChiefWahoo a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefWahoo Add ChiefWahoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classof87

quote:
Originally posted by hockeycoachguru
If Dennehy did select Masters as his assistant what a terrible pick. The only way to get better at Merrimack is to scour canada and Europe to get kids who don't know the difference between Merrimack and BC and BU and UNH. Yes, Masters has a great knowledge of the Eastern Junior League...but any top player in that league will go to one of the top Hockey East Schools. Merrimack needs to completely revamp its recruiting. Dennehy woulod have been better served to get someone with intimate knowledge of Canada, Europe, etc. Look at how Lowell was at the top of the league in the pre-Blaise era. Kids from Canada...a trio of kids from France. Two Canadians on the current UMass roster and they are at the bottom of the League. Average american kids will not get it done in NOrth Andover.

pretty good points guru! i think masters will be ok though. but he needs support from the school. they have to up the asistants pay, and travel budget, so we can find these kids ... maybe even have two full time assiatants looking at kids all year long alll over the place, networking with junior coaches, alumn etc... recruiting budgets must be increased, to give these guys the tools they need to find talented kids.. maybe after dennehy hires masters, he will think about kiene? those three could find kids to go to mc.

Old Post 07-11-2005 03:58 PM
classof87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for classof87 Click here to Send classof87 a Private Message Find more posts by classof87 Add classof87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hockeycoachguru

If Dennehy did select Masters as his assistant what a terrible pick. The only way to get better at Merrimack is to scour canada and Europe to get kids who don't know the difference between Merrimack and BC and BU and UNH. Yes, Masters has a great knowledge of the Eastern Junior League...but any top player in that league will go to one of the top Hockey East Schools. Merrimack needs to completely revamp its recruiting. Dennehy woulod have been better served to get someone with intimate knowledge of Canada, Europe, etc. Look at how Lowell was at the top of the league in the pre-Blaise era. Kids from Canada...a trio of kids from France. Two Canadians on the current UMass roster and they are at the bottom of the League. Average american kids will not get it done in NOrth Andover.

Old Post 07-09-2005 02:51 PM
hockeycoachguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hockeycoachguru Click here to Send hockeycoachguru a Private Message Click Here to Email hockeycoachguru Find more posts by hockeycoachguru Add hockeycoachguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefWahoo

Another BC Guy?

There is a rumor on USCHO that former BC defenseman and Current Jr. Bruins GM Peter Masters is the new Assistant Coach.

Old Post 07-08-2005 06:18 PM
classof87

quote:
Originally posted by War Cry
MC Puck Fan - let me try to explain a little deeper. The alum feel they have been kicked in the teeth and recruiting involves not only selling your program but the school and the support of the school as well. Unfortunately many alum can't honestly "sell" recruits on the school and the support of the school. Again I hope Dennehy does a great job and I have heard of some of his possible assistants, however the alum that were interested in the position were not only just as qualified as Dennehy but also were an integral part of putting Merrimack in the face of collegiate hockey as players. There is deep disappointment as to how the alum were treated in this process however time will heal.

war cry your last two posts were right on the money, i could not have said it better myself..its a true shame how this thing panned out..another thing, the day kiene was interviewed only two of the final six(final committee) spoke to him that friday, the other didint show up....? nice way to treat your own eh! so how could four other members on that committee possibly side with kiene if they never interviewed him? thats four people who had recommandations to santagati that kiene never got his shot at?i am not saying that kiene was the most qualified,but they didint give him a fair shake..i wonder if the other four finalists got the same treatment?

Old Post 07-08-2005 05:32 PM
classof87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for classof87 Click here to Send classof87 a Private Message Find more posts by classof87 Add classof87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MC Puck Fan

quote:
Originally posted by War Cry
MC Puck Fan - let me try to explain a little deeper. The alum feel they have been kicked in the teeth and recruiting involves not only selling your program but the school and the support of the school as well. Unfortunately many alum can't honestly "sell" recruits on the school and the support of the school. Again I hope Dennehy does a great job and I have heard of some of his possible assistants, however the alum that were interested in the position were not only just as qualified as Dennehy but also were an integral part of putting Merrimack in the face of collegiate hockey as players. There is deep disappointment as to how the alum were treated in this process however time will heal.

I understand what you are saying, but its too bad that people can't be excited about the new coach just the same. Its not his fault the committee didn't handle the search process as well as most fans would have liked. Besides right now is when he needs alum support the most, alum should be helping him to restore the program not make it harder.

Old Post 07-08-2005 05:22 PM
MC Puck Fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MC Puck Fan Click here to Send MC Puck Fan a Private Message Click Here to Email MC Puck Fan Find more posts by MC Puck Fan Add MC Puck Fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
War Cry

Old Post 07-08-2005 05:14 PM
War Cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for War Cry Click here to Send War Cry a Private Message Find more posts by War Cry Add War Cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefWahoo

quote:
Originally posted by MC Puck Fan
I don't understand why people are this upset about the new coach. I'm pretty sure we all think he is qualified, I'm pretty sure we all think he can recruit players... I mean it would have been nice to have seen this process play out a little more smoothly and it would have been nice if they had picked an alum, but there are a lot of people in the hockey community that think Dennehy will be a fine coach and that he is ready to lead his own team.

We need to make a distinction here. We are not upset with Mark Dennehy. He was selected and we will support him and give him his shot.

We are upset with Joe Iarbinno and Dick Santagati because of the way the Alumni were treated in the "process".

Old Post 07-08-2005 04:42 PM
MC Puck Fan

I don't understand why people are this upset about the new coach. I'm pretty sure we all think he is qualified, I'm pretty sure we all think he can recruit players... I mean it would have been nice to have seen this process play out a little more smoothly and it would have been nice if they had picked an alum, but there are a lot of people in the hockey community that think Dennehy will be a fine coach and that he is ready to lead his own team.

Old Post 07-08-2005 03:02 PM
MC Puck Fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MC Puck Fan Click here to Send MC Puck Fan a Private Message Click Here to Email MC Puck Fan Find more posts by MC Puck Fan Add MC Puck Fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
War Cry

results of letting down the alum

No disrespect to Dennehy, however the alum connections can no longer sell recruits on Merrimack especially after what just happened. Honestly, If Heinze wanted to (or should I said if his heart was with Merrimack) don't you think he could have gotten his recruits to stay with Merrimack. You think Kiene has his prospects looking to Merrimack, His phone was off the hook with quality players hoping he would get this job.
The problem we have now is we have to rebuild the whole program where I along with many others felt we have some outstanding talent, more on the way and some great guys with a head of steam and belief in Merrimack to move forward. No body wants to be part of a rebuilding system when you can choose a system that is going full steam ahead. Merrimack will do better next season (its impossible to do worse) but a lot more damage was done.

Old Post 07-08-2005 02:32 PM
War Cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for War Cry Click here to Send War Cry a Private Message Find more posts by War Cry Add War Cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefWahoo

Doesn't look like we have any Jr. Warriors coming in next year.

Old Post 07-07-2005 10:39 PM
classof87

Re: Re: recruit gone

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefWahoo
87 he wasn't talking about Cucci. You said Cucci was "another" recruit we lost. He was asking if we had lost another recruit prior to Cucci.

You forgot another point about Andy. He is also a native of North Andover. It would have generated more interest in the team locally in the town.

opps, sorry for the mix up!

Old Post 07-07-2005 01:53 PM
ChiefWahoo

Re: recruit gone

quote:
Originally posted by classof87
the recruit is joe cucci who plays for andy heinze valley junior warriors.. 5-9 165 great vision, hands speed, hockey sense.not just a waterbug type penalty killer guy, this guy can finish! he was a shue in for the class of 2006 committed to mc but the coaching circus made his father panic, especially after heinze was told to take a hike.. so n.u. providence persued and i think he committed to n. u. the ejhl, has put 21 kids in hockey east schools next year thats more than any other league in the country including prep, public, and ushl... andy has been coach of the year twice in the last six years, and was one of the all time great players at mc....the bozoo first commmitte didnt think he was warented a second interview? thats how they pay back there alumns...

87 he wasn't talking about Cucci. You said Cucci was "another" recruit we lost. He was asking if we had lost another recruit prior to Cucci.

You forgot another point about Andy. He is also a native of North Andover. It would have generated more interest in the team locally in the town.

Old Post 07-07-2005 01:30 PM
classof87

recruit gone

quote:
Originally posted by college hockey fan
87, what do you mean by lost another? what other recruit did merrimack lose?

the recruit is joe cucci who plays for andy heinze valley junior warriors.. 5-9 165 great vision, hands speed, hockey sense.not just a waterbug type penalty killer guy, this guy can finish! he was a shue in for the class of 2006 committed to mc but the coaching circus made his father panic, especially after heinze was told to take a hike.. so n.u. providence persued and i think he committed to n. u. the ejhl, has put 21 kids in hockey east schools next year thats more than any other league in the country including prep, public, and ushl... andy has been coach of the year twice in the last six years, and was one of the all time great players at mc....the bozoo first commmitte didnt think he was warented a second interview? thats how they pay back there alumns...

Old Post 07-07-2005 01:17 PM